02 October 2005

Mikame Undokai




The town has gone crazy today. Everyone from 8 to 80 is taking part in the undokai, or annual sports festival. Modeled after the highly popular Japanese school sports festivals, the town sports festival incorporates relays, ball-throwing games, dancing, tug-o-war, and other activities into an all-day event on the Mikame chugakko (middle-school) sports field. Hania and I were minor celebrities, and it was also the first time that many of the locals have seen us together. It was all a bit weird at first with all the staring, but everyone soon got used to us and I ended up having a great day. I was invited to sit with Takami (my fishing pal) and his family, where we shared a huge obento during the afternoon lunch break. Hania was invited to represent her village of Nigyu in the ball-throwing game. She didn't do so badly either, and helped the team place 4th out of 16. After the festival wrapped up for the day, I took my newly purchased rod and reel squid fishing with Takami, while Hania went to the Nigyu village enkai (party) to celebrate their sporty achievements. I caught 3 squid, and after returning home to put them in the fridge, joined Hania and her well lubricated new friends.